Thursday, March 11, 2010

Eclectic Tastes

When I first started working at my current job, all of the offices but one were always quiet. The top Vice President at the time used to listen to classical and jazz music on his radio every morning. Since music is a huge part of my life I asked my direct boss if I could listen to music while I was working too. After receiving permission to do so, I invested in a pair of ear buds. As long as I only used one I was allowed to wear them. One ear always had to be free to hear what everyone around me was saying. It was at that point that I discovered Pandora.com. It's kinda funny thinking about how new it was when I found it. Anyway, I always knew my music tastes were rather eclectic, but never really thought about that fact until last month. See, my Pandora radio has 6 different stations. For about a week last month I listened to my music without my ear buds so that my office mates could enjoy my music too. After two days of classical, one day of 1950's, and one day of OLD (like Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby old), I switched to my country radio. Jen, my newest office mate turned to me and said, "Wow. You're rather eclectic, aren't you?" Not really thinking about it I asked what she meant and she pointed out what we had all listened to that week that I had turned on. Ah, gotcha.

You may think me odd, liking the music that I do, but it's the variety in life that makes living worth while. The only part about eclectic tastes that could be a little annoying is when I tell someone that I really like the song playing over the sound system in a store and the person looks at me like I'm crazy. For example, I was picking up dry cleaning last week and Nat King Cole was singing on the radio or CD they had playing. I told the little old Asian lady that runs the store that I really love his music and she looked at me funny while saying, "This is OLD music." Did she think I was kidding? I could name half a dozen songs that Nat King Cole sang just off the top of my head. I suppose that older people expect young adults and kids to know who AC/DC is anymore, but not Rosemary Clooney.

Do you listen to any music that isn't necessarily in your age group? What/Who is your favorite music group/artist?

5 comments:

Rachel Lynn said...

My Pandora stations are Celtic, mood piano, 3 classical, Christmas, John Williams, and Hans Zimmer. I LOVE my Pandora!

Carin Siegfried said...

I listen to music from the 50s through today. My favorite is the 80s. Everyone assumes that's because of when I was in High School (c/o '91) but in High School I mostly listened to 50s and 60s music. My boyfriend's car only had AM radio. I remember about 10 years ago, a colleague in his late 50s was just shocked when we were at a restaurant and I would sing along to Del Shannon, Donovan, and The Beach Boys.

Gwen said...

We just may be two peas in a pod when it comes to music. Let's take a gander at my iPod.....Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, America, The Eagles, The Beatles, The Turtles, Nelly, Maroon 5, Michael Buble, Garth Brooks, Chopin, Beastie Boys,Louis Armstrong, Billie Holiday, etc.....I don't have a lot of 50's music though, need to work on that.

Hannah said...

@ Rachel..I LOVE you! I never even THOUGHT of creating a John Williams Pandora station, but now it's fast becoming my favorite! *muah!*
@ Carin...Haha. My husband is always telling me to stop singing along with the old music when we go to Red Robin or pretty much anywhere. LOL. I can't help it. I just love the music!
@ Gwen...oh, Michael Buble *swoon* LOVE that man's voice!

Jendi said...

I've been thinking of trying Pandora...just might have to now.

Does your whole family love John Williams? I know Alicia was always crazy about his music. She would put the tape player in front of the TV to tape the movie soundtracks. :) She's the one who "introduced" him to me and I'm glad she did.