Monday, January 25, 2010

Dogs Stink! (or Why I am stuck at home instead of being at work today)

My husband shook me awake this morning. "Hannah. Do you Smell that!?!"

"Huh. What?"

"Do you smell that?" It was more a demand this time instead of a question.

I sniffed. Just barely. For my trouble, my nose was assaulted by the most disgusting smell. "Oh, no. I'm going to kill her!" I rolled over while Joseph told me he was going to turn on the light so I could check on Mason.

"I don't have my contacts in so I can't see a thing, Joseph."

Joseph crawled over to my side of our king sized bed and peered through the shadows of the bed stand lamp at Mason's kennel. "Oh! Man! It's on the carpet!" He let loose a string of a few choice words that definitely let Mason know how he felt about her accident. It was 3:59 A.M.

We both got out of bed and as I went into the bathroom to put in my contacts, we discussed what we were going to have to do. I told Joseph that I would wash her off, but that he should just throw the bedding out since it wasn't the first time she had had an accident on it. I just wasn't feeling another long day of laundry related to dog bedding. Not to mention the fact that I had to work today. I've missed way too many Mondays lately. This was NOT going to be a good day. As if to emphasize my thoughts, Joseph walked into the bathroom with Mason in his arms while I had only one contact in and the other on my finger poised to be placed on my left eye. "Joseph! You're gonna have to stand there and watch her, cause I have to get my second contact in still!" He had placed her in the bathtub.

Thankfully, Mason had mostly avoided her poop, (yes, poop) so I really only had to wash her back half of her body. By the time I finished bathing her, Joseph came to the bathroom door and stated that he was going to lay back down for the next twenty minutes. That was so not going to happen. My alarm had already gone off. I needed to get in the shower and get ready for work. Joseph was just going to have to watch her. "Take Mason and Rocky outside to go to the bathroom." I said. Amazingly, Joseph complied.

Once I was finished with my shower, I got dressed and completed my morning routine. Then, I took over watching the dogs while Joseph got ready. When he finished his shower, I gave him the only two options I could come up with for today. 1. We call Mason's owners (our good friends that went out of town this weekend) and ask them to come get her this morning or 2. I stay home and work from home while paying close attention to Mason.

We opted for the second choice. Unfortunately, what I had forgotten is that my work computer doesn't have a power cord. Well, it does, but I can't find it. Anywhere.

I would have gone back to sleep after my decision was made, but Mason decided that she didn't like the carpet just inside my back door anymore than she liked her kennel this morning. Another mess of crap to clean up. I called Joseph who was already on his way to work. "You know how we were just talking about getting a new carpet for inside the back door yesterday? I'm glad we had that talk because I'm throwing the one we have out with the trash this morning." Can I just say, right now, that I am ever so glad that our garbage men come twice a week? The first day each week that they show up is Monday.

While Mason hasn't had another accident since that second one around 6am, I've been watching her like a hawk. I've got my kitchen timer set for 38 minutes at this very moment. Mason is lying under my chair as I type this, her small body pressed against my legs. Rocky is passed out lying next to my chair, his body angled towards the back of the chair. I thought until just a second ago when I checked, that Rocky was probably face to face with Mason, but I was wrong. She's actually curled up under my chair with her nose smack dab against Rocky's back. Dogs are so cute when they sleep.

1 comment:

Alaine - Queen of Happy Endings said...

What a terrible way to get a day off work. However, I hope you got lots of reading done!