Sunday, September 4, 2011

The vegetable I hate eating (6-9-11)

(Formerly posted on SparkPeople on Thursday, June 6, 2011)

I pretty much despise carrots. Ask my husband at any point and he'll quickly confirm this. In fact, he is always telling me that I NEED to eat carrots for all of the good they'll do my eyes. Honestly...I don't care. Carrots are dry. They taste nasty. They turn my fingers funky colors when I peel the outsides off. I don't even like them with brown sugar or butter. If I have to eat them raw, I end up eating more dip than carrot. At least, that's how I felt about them before lunch today.
I purchased a fresh bunch of organic carrots this morning because I really AM trying to eat healthier foods and of course I'm counting calories and such. About an hour ago (11:30ish) my stomach started going crazy for food and all I have here at work with me for lunch today are those organic carrots. So, I peeled three. Spooned out my slightly heaping 2Tbsp of French onion dip. And headed back to my desk. And I honestly have to admit, I'm eating more carrot than dip right now. These carrots aren't dry. They aren't leaving a funky aftertaste. They actually have a slightly sweet flavor to them. They DID still turn my fingers orange, but if I can eat carrots that I will truly enjoy?...I'll deal with the orange.
I guess the point of my post here is to say that sometimes stepping out of my comfort zone and reaching for the foods I typically avoid can be an eye-opening experience. Maybe I don't hate eating carrots after all! 

No comments: